Our product positively impacts lives
We want to help kids who are at risk. We also want to help the people who are trying to help those kids. We accomplish these goals through webbased, usercentered software via our product, Casebook. To do this, we are tackling the longterm objective of developing, selling, and implementing innovative technology for the public sector (a.k.a. state and federal government).
Help us solve real problems
This is not your average contentdriven or ecommerce Ruby on Rails application. It is an application, mandatorily used by government employees and others, with deep workflows, intricate modeling and statistical analysis. We employ an agile approach, but work with customers who are more traditionally waterfall. Our platform is written utilizing 100% open source frameworks and tools. Our goal is to make government operational technology as usable and enjoyable as consumer webbased products – so that government can gather and utilize reliable data in order to manage its operations and improve its ability to serve constituents.
What you'll do as User Experience Designer at Case Commons
As a UX Designer, you’ll be working closely with stakeholders and users to understand how best to build a useful and compelling webbased experience. You’ll also be collaborating with a multidisciplinary team of designers, product managers, developers, policy experts, and data analysts.
What you have
• 2+ years of interaction/UX design experience. Portfolio examples of digital products & webbased apps preferred
• Ability to create wireframes and/or other artifacts necessary to communicate functional design and interfaces, user flows and information architecture
• Ideal candidate has strong communication & presentation skills
• Experience collaborating closely with Product Managers & Engineers a plus
• Experience with user research and usability testing a plus
• Knowledge of Accessibility/Section 508 compliance a plus
What you’ll enjoy
• The opportunity to work on a product that can transform lives
• NNot only work on cuttingedge and innovative technology but feel good about what we’re doing as a company (food for the soul)
• Creatively solve difficult problems
• Work in small teams collaboratively with Designers, Product Managers, and Engineers
• Brown bag presentations
• Access to a creative, engaged community of engineers, PMs, designers and entrepreneurs
• Agile work environment
• Daily catered breakfast
• Stocked beer fridge as well as microbrew from our own aficionados
• Full kitchen
• Ping pong and other work/life balance tools
• Open work environment, shoes optional
• Union Square location
To be considered, please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Why Case Commons?
Infrastructure We're constantly making improvements to our infrastructure to address performance and monitoring capabilities. Whether it be by evaluating application server technologies (e.g., Passenger vs Unicorn) or upgrading tools and tech (e.g., New Relic, Monit, PostgreSQL). We also fully streamline automated deployments marrying Chef and Capistrano via our own gem chef_cap.
Search Engine We're constantly making improvements to our in application searching by using innovative techniques and technologies to make our searching super fast.
API We're designing comprehensive SOA APIs used for both integrating with 3rd party systems and for importing legacy data into our system.
HTML5 (and related technologies) We're constantly trying to push the state of the art in web development by using leading edge web technologies and standards like HTML 5, Rails 3.1, Ruby 1.9.3, JQuery, Backbone.js, etc.
Open Source Projects We're active in the open source community by both authoring our own gems as well and contributing to other projects. Take a look at a few of our gems: pg_search, pg_audit_log and schematic.